While jaw dropping disbelief has long ago given way to stoic cynicism and perpetual anger, the genetic human will to live free of oppression has kicked in. #Occupy rallies and protests are smelters, forging the tempered steel of a new common populist identity. Just because the media isn’t able or willing to understand what the purpose is, the purpose is there. All you have to do is read the signs. I paraphrase:
- Our representative democracy doesn’t work anymore.
- Intransigence for the sake of political chaos makes finding agreement on critical legislation and policy decisions impossible.
- The obscene infusion of money into our election process has diluted individual opinion and replaced it with bullhorn media propaganda.
- Privatization of critical national resources and exploitation of our national labor and infrastructure is fostering indifference to public health, safety and economic stability, for the sake of short term profits.
- Investment in the welfare of our future has been forsaken and replaced with high risk, short term bets in commodity markets that are subsidized and indemnified against loss with public taxes and sanctified with legislated barriers to competition.
- As a species, our irrational insistence on denying obvious historical evidence and measurable environmental imbalances, for the sake of protecting fabricated political and religious dogma, has put us on a path to self-induced extinction.